VI Repository
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VI Repository

This is a UK based discusson group concerning the education of visually impaired students/persons. The forum aims to provide an opportunity for all employed, associated & interested in this field to share experiences, techniques & resources

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for a calculator?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Looking for a calculator? Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a calculator?   Looking for a calculator? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:50 am

If you need to use a scientific calculator that has the ability to output speech then your choices are pretty limited. Over the years, our students had been using RNIB LC107/LC108 models, but these have unfortunately broken and the RNIB have discontinued them. Their replacements have taken the form of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] model, our students call them 'tutti frutti' calculators!

Some alternative websites for the above calculator:

1) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
2) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
3) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope that helps somebody! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
https://vi-repository.forumotion.com
BenedictTechnician
Admin
BenedictTechnician

Looking for a calculator? Empty
PostSubject: Scientific 'Hardware' calculators alternatives   Looking for a calculator? EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:37 pm

I would just like to add that the Sci-Plus 300 calculators hardware is more robust then the old RNIB LC107/LC108 flimsy design. However, the performance of the Sci-Plus calculators is inferior for use in GCSE maths. One of the complaints we've had from users is that they cannot display the right amount of decimal points. The old RNIB calculators also have a nice tactile feel to them. Unfortunately, the LC107/108s had a short life-span mainly due to poor internal structure and poor battery life.

I remember 'back in the day' when RNIB gave tech support for these calculators, they advised me not to take calculators apart myself to replace batteries as they were 'special' and I should send them to the RNIB. As their support stopped, I removed the cover off one of them and discovered that they were plain old Ni-Cad AA batteries. I replaced them myself and got a few more years out of our calculators, but eventually they died.

If anyone knows of any good alternatives (but NOT software based calculators) please add this to the thread. Also, if anyone has any spare ones (yeah right...!) please do contact me as our students need them. I will continue to search for an alternative.

Or if you have any points to make about these calculators, we'd like to hear them...
Back to top Go down

Looking for a calculator?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VI Repository :: HARDWARE :: Other Related Hardware-
Jump to: